The missionary’s struggles
- Asking for financial support. Helping others “catch” the “vision” so they will want to be part of the provision to make it happen. It costs money no matter where you live. And for many, they are not allowed to work in the foreign country because it takes away jobs from the local population. So the missionary is DEPENDENT on those who share the vision.
- Finding regular prayer partners that will pray day and night for you, for your kids, for your marriage, for your ministry, for your support.
- Extended family & friends projecting disapproval, fear for your safety, guilt that you are leaving them, inability to understand your call.
- Learning a new language, new culture, new recipes, new forms of transportation, new schools for the kids, and usually a different weather pattern, too.
- Adjusting (normally) to a slower pace of life, different meal times, different sleep times. It is just DIFFERENT in every way.
- Having to depend on others for help in the basic things of life…even grocery shopping and finding and transporting the furniture you need to set up housekeeping. Getting the appliances for your home and setting them up.
- Figuring out: What is safe to eat? Is it ok to drink the water? What do you do if you get sick? And you WILL get sick because of the stress from changes and differences you are adjusting to.
- Learning how to navigate new relationships and realizing the mission sending agency did NOT prepare you as well as you thought. SURPRISES await!
The silent killer on the mission field
The unforeseen silent killer of the mission vision, and the reason many missionaries leave the mission field much earlier than they had originally planned is because of the personality differences of the fellow missionaries. Who would have thought?? Add that to all the things listed above and you have a recipe for bringing out the worst in each other.
Most mission agencies don’t prepare their missionaries about what a HUGE problem personality differences actually are. They don’t teach how to overcome the obstacles. We think since someone is English speaking like us, and we share the same mission and love the Lord, that we will get along great together. But with all of you adjusting to new EVERYTHING…the blow-ups are inevitable.
There are even problems between husbands and wives because they each are desperate to SURVIVE and can forget the other is struggling too. It is more of a challenge than EARLY marriage. Living happily ever after is not possible unless all parties in marriage and on the mission field step back and actually take the time to study the others. Learn their personality types & spiritual gifts. Learn what is predictable for the others. And learn how to communicate in a way that they will HEAR what you are REALLY saying rather than REACTING to what they THINK you MEAN. I can help you figure all that out. (Leading From Your Strengths)
God is with you
“I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:20
The missionary’s purpose is clear
“And we proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, that we may present every man complete in Christ.” — Colossians 1:28
I have so much to say to you. So much to teach you. So many lessons I learned the hard way. That’s why I specialize in mentor coaching missionaries. My heart is still on the mission field, even though it has been many years since I returned to the United States. I want you to be able to stay in the field as long as you originally intended…VICTORIOUS over the devil’s schemes…for as long as God wants you there. I want you to be a FORCE for GOOD while you are there. I want to be your sounding board and the safe place where you can CLEAR your frustrations and then head back into the fray renewed and revived! With a fresh anointing! Because…
Once a missionary, always a missionary
You can take the missionary off the foreign mission field, but you cannot take the mission out of the missionary. The called, cannot stop being called, no matter where we live. We have the message of the Cross & the Resurrection of Jesus that we MUST share. Always and forever.
I am a missionary to missionaries. Please keep my contact information close by. Pray if I might be of help. Click the red tab to connect…
When you decide you want to do more than just exist on the field…when you decide you want to be ALL God called you to be, I can help!
Wondering if a mentor coach would be helpful to you (or a missionary you know)?
It is easy peasy. Just contact me so we can compare calendars and set up a time for an inquiry call. There is absolutely NO OBLIGATION. NO CHARGE for that. You can tell me your story. If we decide we could make a good team, and coaching could be helpful, then we can plan how to make it work for you to schedule regular calls to be encouraged by one that truly understands the challenges you face every day. I will dust you off and send you back into the field with a smile on your face and laughter in your heart!